ROMAN FECIK GALLERY
About the gallery Artists Available art Exhibitions Publications For collectors Newsletter Slovenská verzia

Juraj Bartusz

About the author
Available art

Back to artists

JURAJ BARTUSZ (* 1933, Kamenín), in the sixties of the 20th century, at the time of inclination to concretism and minimalism, developed the basis of geometric abstraction. He was also one of the first protagonists of action and concept. Rational approaches culminated in his work in the early 1970s when he was one of the first in Slovak visual arts to use a computer to create his work. Another shift towards dematerialization of the artistic act was Bartusz's work of the 1980s when on a conceptual basis he expressed an expressively explosive authorial gesture. He is an artist of dynamic creative range and constant search for new identities: rationally economical and emotionally spontaneous sculptural, painterly and bodily creations have replaced new interest in performance, installation art and video art. He studied at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague (1954 - 1958, prof. J. Wagner, J. Kavan), then continued at the Academy of Fine Arts (1958 - 1961, prof. K. Pokorný, K. Hladík). In 1962 he came to Košice, devoted to monumental and intimate sculpture, action and land-art, as well as painting, installation, video and performance. He was a member of the Club of Concretists (1967 - 1971, after 1991). He worked as a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, where he headed the Studio of Free Creativity (1990-1999), and at the Department of Fine Arts and Intermedia at the Faculty of Arts of the Technical University in Košice (since 1999). He has won several awards, such as the Munkáczy Prize (2004). He was one of the co-founders of the International Sculpture Symposium in Metal in Košice (1967), his work The Constellation of the Great Car (1968) installed in Košice's park in 1978 was officially removed. He has carried out several works in architecture and the environment, the land-art Light Festival I. (1974, collaboration with G. Kladek). He had several solo exhibitions at home and abroad, a retrospective entitled Gestures / Points / Seconds was held at the Slovak National Gallery in Bratislava (2010). From international exhibitions: Sculpture Tchécoslovaque de Myslbek à nos jours, Musée Rodin, Paris (1968); Proyectos no realizados, Escuela Nacional de Artes Plasticas, Centro international dela cultura, Mexico (1981); Messiások - a modern mûvészet remekei a megváltásról. MODEM, Center for Modern and Contemporary Arts, Debrecen (2009) etc. Represented in collections: Albertina, Vienna; Galerie der Stadt Esslingen, Esslingen; National Gallery in Prague, Prague; Pécs Gallery, Pécs, Slovak National Gallery, Bratislava; Szépmûvészeti Museum, Budapest; East Slovak Gallery, Košice etc.Budapest; East Slovak Gallery, Košice etc.

Zámoènícka 8, 811 03 Bratislava   Opening hours: by appointment   cell: +421 918 430 102, email: info@rfg.sk, web: www.rfg.sk